Little B is eating a bowl of ‘white pasta’ – plain pasta with a bit of butter stirred through it. What she doesn’t know is that I also stirred through a little bit of chicken soup, (what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her), in a bid to widen her repertoire of dinners. Feeling all proud of my sneaky ways when she polished off the bowl, I revealed the soupy addition, to which she said:
“Oh mummy, but I didn’t like it.”
“But you ate it all up, so you must have liked it!”
“No mummy, I just tried it a lot.”
A 4 year old’s logic just can’t be argued with…
Well, we made it back unscathed (mostly) from our Ibizan adventure. I’ll stick up a review of our apartments when I get some time, but for now, I’m taking a break from the HUGE amount of laundry we’ve returned with to update you on some things I’ve fished out of Littler B’s mouth recently. She’s 9 months old now, has four tiny toothy pegs and everything is fair game to her in terms of what she’ll put in her mouth. I should say that the following list makes me look like a bad, negligent mother, but just to reassure you, she hasn’t choked on anything… yet.
2) A plastic fish
3) A small horn from a toy bicycle
4) An earplug
5) A magnet
6) A flip-flop
7) Every napkin she can get her hands on
8) Loo roll (see above)
9) Her dummy (she had wedged the whole thing in.)
10) The hire car key
It really is the simple things… Nothing could have prepared me for the sheer joy and warm feelings I get when I watch my baby eat toast. She LOVES it. She has these little ET fingers which she uses to poke the toast and hold pieces in her right hand. The left hand has normal fingers for some reason, but with her right hand I keep expecting her to point to my heart and say ‘I’ll be right here’ *chokes back tears*. (Disclaimer: ET is my favourite film of all time and I always cry at that part.)
Anyway, instead of doing my usual trick and posting pictures of her vomit, (although we did have a really interesting pink one yesterday after we followed a strawberry yoghurt with a piece of mushroom), I thought I’d post some pictures of my baby poking toast and eating toast. Maybe the joy will come across to you, maybe it won’t, but at least I’ll have a permanent reminder of the ET fingers.
You’ve all heard the word ‘hangry’ before, haven’t you? It’s a mixture of hungry and angry, and describes what happens when someone gets hungry, doesn’t get fed, and then gets very angry about not being fed. My husband is a sufferer – we have bags of nuts, fruit, crisps etc stashed around the house and car in order to tide him over and keep him from going all Incredible Hulk on us if we’re 10 minutes late getting to lunch.
Unfortunately, the baby has inherited this trait. One minute she’s fine, placid, smiling even. The next, she’s red-faced, squealing, writhing around like a thing possessed. Hangry.
Yesterday, I was feeling all virtuous as I chopped up sweet potatoes for her dinner. I was going to do wedges as she’s at that stage of weaning where she likes to hold food in her hand and gnaw at it. This is as far as I got…
They got chopped up, they got parboiled. For about a minute. Then all hell broke loose in the highchair. Littler B realised she was in the highchair but was not being fed. I tried to distract her with some banana. It didn’t work. After a few minutes of the squealing, shouting and gnashing of tiny teeth, I resorted to the old favourite:
Dehydrated mush, with some pureed mush.
And you know what? She loved it.
The sweet potato wedges made it on to her big sister’s plate a half hour later, nestled between some fish fingers and some peas. She didn’t eat any of them either. Annabel Karmel I am not…
Little B has an egg allergy, so it was with some trepidation that I approached the ‘hard boiled egg’ advice in the NHS weaning handbook when it came to introducing them to Littler B. They’re so alike in looks that I sort of expect them to be alike in all other ways, including allergies. And it turns out, I was right – mushed up hard boiled egg all over the floor…
As you can see from the pictures, I had bypassed the usual plastic bowl/Tupperware container/beaker and used a mug. I have a set of 6 of these mugs. I bought them from Habitat when I worked in their cookware department 17 years ago. 17 years! I’ve moved house 4 times with them. They’re lovely mugs to drink from, and a classic design. Now I have 5. Sad face emoji.
Goodbye lovely mug, you served me well.
On the plus side, the baby doesn’t seem to be allergic to eggs. Though it’s hard to tell as she bokes up all the time anyway…
Broccoli, broccoli, broccoli EVERYWHERE….
She LOVES broccoli
She loves to mush it up in her wee hands
Some of it even went in her mouth.
NB: To clean up this amount of broccoli mess, you must first use kitchen towel to remove as much of the mush as you can, then wipe round with some kind of jaycloth type affair, then give it another wipe over with a cleaning wipe, then brush it up off the floor, then use a cloth to remove the mush from your brush, then another cloth etc etc etc. Broccoli is bloody hard to clean up. I nearly got the hoover out, and that is not something I do on a regular basis.
So the baby is eating solids now.
We’ve done the whole baby rice, pureed apple, pureed pear, pureed vegetables thing, and now shit’s getting real. And messy…
This is some lentils I lovingly cooked down with some carrots to sweeten them up. Pureed to a smooth(ish) consistency. Doesn’t it look yummy?
The lentils did not go down too well…